Friday, July 24, 2026

Holding Hands around the Table

 "When I call everyone for dinner," she wrote, "they come running. By the time I get things tidied in the kitchen and myself to the table, half the food is gone. They are busy eating with no respect of me. I am so tired and frustrated."

Her question was, "What can I do?"

The other moms in the forum seemed to have the same problem. Misery loves company, and there sure was a lot of company! I thought about their problem for a moment, and I knew why I never had that problem as a child or when raising our kids. I shared my "solution" and was met with applause and astonishment by the group. 

As children in our mama's home, we had table manners. So did our children (or sorts, of course).  When our six were all at home, we sat around the oval table, three kids on each side with Dave and I at each end.

Nobody, but nobody in my childhood home or my home today, grabs their food and starts eating until everyone is there. Why? 

Call it ridiculous or old-fashioned, this tradition brings order out of chaos. It surely works. Because, before every meal, we hold hands around the table and pause. For a moment, we are joined together by our hands. Then, when everyone is quiet, a blessing on the food is given. Children (and adults) know they can't pass the food or eat until the blessing is done. There's no blessing until everyone is seated, quiet, and holding hands (at our table).

When we were kids, we sang different prayer songs each day of the week. I still remember: The Lord's Prayer on Sunday and Wednesday. God is Great and God is Good on the other days except Saturday. On Saturday, we said the short prayer, "I fold my hands, I bow my head, to thank Thee, Lord, for this good bread." . Before those days, our father led in prayer most meals; occasionally we sang. After his death, Mama asked us what we wanted to do about the mealtime prayer. I was five, and I remember that conversation in the kitchen around the rectangular table. 

When we were growing up our kids, we also had prayer before meals (and still do). Our family incorporated more songs, including: For Balmy Sunshine; the new tune of God is Great and God is Good; We Thank Thee, Lord, for this Good Food; Thank You for the World so Sweet. Our kids are grown and gone. Now Dave and I sit next to each other instead of at different ends of the table. We still hold hands at table. 

The world is full of noise and commotion. Sometimes we come to the table disgruntled, frustrated, or worried. Siblings who've played and fought throughout the day sit side by side at the table. A pause to hold hands brings order and peace. It's easier to stay mad at someone when you don't hold hands. On some evenings when Dave and I are both tired or frustrated (sometimes with each other), there's a calmness that invades our home when we put our hands together and turn our attention on God instead of ourselves. 

Days are busy and sometimes fraught with worry or concern. Politics, social media, local and world news are all cause for frustration. Sometimes our prayers are not answered the way we hoped. Family or work tensions can wreak havoc in our hearts. 

At the end of the day, when we sit around the table, together, we tap into healing.There is extra strength that comes when we sit and hold hands around the table, when we ask God to bless us, our family, and our food.  Before we break bread together, we come together in in our hearts when we hold hands with everyone around the table, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment